Sunday, August 14, 2011

Getting started

After five years of considering the issue (I move very quickly, you see) I have decided to emulate my friends in Massachusettes and fight the battle against arcane alimony laws. I won't be referring the the matter at hand in the newer term "spousal support," because it is not spousal support. It is financial support of an ex spouse, and the practice is rooted in long-outdated theories of paternalism and low expectations of women.

I will be posting more tomorrow, including a description of what one small, grassroots group was able to accomplish in Massachusettes. They have inspired me, and I hope to pick up the torch here in Oregon. It is surprising that such a liberal state has codified the indentured servitude of (almost exclusively) men while simultaneously promoting a decidedly non-feminist view of women.  I'm still trying to find my way, so bear with me.

Part of this blog will be an examination of particular stories shared with me on the horrors of alimony.  If you have stories to share, please email them to alimony.reform.oregon@gmail.com.  I will not use your name (unless you want me to).  I have also started a twitter feed: twitter.com/oralimonyreform

More tomorrow.  Happy Sunday!!


No comments:

Post a Comment